[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue May 2 14:27:14 WST 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, quoth W.Kenworthy:

> Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B.  Looks mostly standard
> stuff, and I like the small size (I need portability more than grunt
> these days!)

Please excuse the late reply (Brad's email reminded me)

I don't have any experience with the Vaio, but I did recently purchase a
Toshiba Libretto U100 because to me portability was also much more
important than grunt.  It replaced my aging Libretto 70ct which was doing
most things I need a laptop for just fine, but sometimes a Pentium 75
_just_ isn't enough ;)

Everything on the U100 works under Linux (except possibly the modem, which
I have no use for, so haven't tried)

Wifi, Bluetooth etc just works.

If you're looking for a sub-1kg portable that takes up less room than a
VHS cassette, I can strongly recommend one.

There's some Debian specific info here:
http://stuff.netropol.de/toshiba_u100/

 - Matt Kemner
  Penguin Care		Tel: Perth 08 9322 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9988
  Mob: 04 1175 6910	Fax: Perth 08 9221 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9977