[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue May 2 14:46:14 WST 2006

Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, quoth W.Kenworthy:
>
>> Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B.  Looks mostly standard
>> stuff, and I like the small size (I need portability more than grunt
>> these days!)
>
> Please excuse the late reply (Brad's email reminded me)
>
> I don't have any experience with the Vaio, but I did recently purchase a
> Toshiba Libretto U100 because to me portability was also much more
> important than grunt.  It replaced my aging Libretto 70ct which was doing
> most things I need a laptop for just fine, but sometimes a Pentium 75
> _just_ isn't enough ;)
>
> Everything on the U100 works under Linux (except possibly the modem, which
> I have no use for, so haven't tried)
>
> Wifi, Bluetooth etc just works.
>
> If you're looking for a sub-1kg portable that takes up less room than a
> VHS cassette, I can strongly recommend one.

Exactly what I'm after. What is the battery life like? I'm kinda addicted to my 4hrs I get from my
existing tank.. and the Vaio advertises 8.5 hrs.. which if it even gives me 5 would make me as happy
as a pig in poo..

The vaio is expensive tho.. works out about $3k AUD here..

Really I want small and light (I have over 60 flights booked in the next 2 years) with a great
battery life, wifi built in and eth/usb/bluetooth. External VGA than can do 1024x768. The rest I can
kinda lug my old acer around if I need anything else or a big screen..

I'm really used to my 15" 1400x1050 screen, but for something that small and light I'd be happy to
trade back to a smaller screen.

But I keep coming back to battery life.. it's gotta have it..

Installing Ubuntu on the Vaio to test the battery life in the next couple of days.. (some generous
person bought one then said.. oh I'm not going to be around for a bit would you like to play with it
for a week or two to see if it meets your needs??) How lovely of her.