[plug] Microsoft's insidious domination in Australian schools

Ikhwan Rivai ikhwanr at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:30:00 WST 2006

Hi Gavin,
I am impressed you have got this far. I must say though that 1 PC for
every 6 Students is a very high ratio in my high school (in New
Zealand) there was 1500+ students and only 30 PC's for student use. I
must admit they were all running Windows. I am new to Linux but not to
the Education system as my mother was a teacher and now works in
Indonesian education system. I think you have been driven to
desperation but I feel out of all of us the best possible help will
come from youself. You are in a rural part of Australia with limited
resources. It sounds like you were unsuccessful the first time but I
feel it is your job to convince the Principal to stand on yourside.
You yourself have stated that the head office do not pay you visits.
This should be encouragment enough. I have seen a lot of policies (and
procedures) and they are mainly written by desk bound officers. The
reality is; you can do what you want, the education of the students is
paramount. I suggest you go ahead with what you want to do because
when a Politician does walk up to your school with cameras and
reporters he will take the credit for enhancing learning in the rural
school system.