[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri May 5 11:07:29 WST 2006

> > So non-64-bit OSES use approx 51.5% of the CPU... LOL!
>
> Does that mean that theres no point getting 64bit until theres some
> good 64bit apps out?

No. I have an AMD64, and it performs lovely. Other than the fact it's
a lot cooler, I have found some CPU intensive stuff, to be much better
on the AMD64... (Aided of course by the fact it runs linux). For
example, playing some games, and still having the machine do other
stuff in the background, and not experiencing performance hits. I
can't tell for sure if it's cause it's 64bit, or cause it's just a
good CPU ;-)

Of course, most things under linux, can be compiled for 64bit, and if
it's maths intensive, you should get a boost. I.e. mencoder ;-)

Of course, if your going to run a 32bit OS on it... Then yer, don't bother.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956