[plug] Microsoft's insidious domination in Australian schools

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat May 6 13:21:19 WST 2006

On 5/4/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
<snip>

> Also, every computer in the school must be powerful enough to run XP.

I have a friend whos mum is a teacher, and he would scavenge 486 -
PIIs from roadside collections, fix them up and install them in her
classroom, running Windows 95. No mention of Windows XP - the school
(in perth) was grateful to get more computers, regardless of what they
ran. They were separate from the network, as you would expect, but
that didn't matter.

> Apparently, higher powers in head office dictate
> that every computer located in any government school across the whole State
> MUST run Microsoft - even if the hardware on which it runs is donated.

Teachers were also apparently offered laptops by the education
department a few years ago, and she mentioned that they were given the
choice of Acers or Macs. She went for the Acer, because at that point
she'd never heard much about macs, but I heard she was intending to
switch to the mac at the next upgrade cycle after she saw one of her
collegues using one.

-Patrick
--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au