UPDATE RE: [plug] Microsoft's insidious domination in Australian schools

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri May 5 14:06:01 WST 2006

   >Thanks for the empathic and helpful responses to my previously
   >posted open
   >letter.  Your suggestions reminded me of the existence of
   >'OpenSource WA'
   >http://www.opensource.wa.gov.au/  so I scoured that website for
   >info before
   >sending off a emails to two key people listed there and also to
   >the contact
   >given for the 'OpenSource WA Demonstration Centre'.

My wish to see Linux used in my local primary school has had to evolve into
part of a bigger agitation to advocate OpenSource software in WA education.
In other words, I'm unlikely to change things locally without working with
others to change things State-wide.  This became obvious because, as a
result of my emails to a few key people, I had a phone call this morning
from Kevin Russell of OpenSource WA who was fully supportive of my concerns
and intentions.  He advised that letters sent to govt. ministers of
education and of economic development would go a long way towards chipping
away at the obstructive attitude from within education and it would assist
the pressure they are already applying.  Looks like my wish to donate a
small computer lab to my little school has developed into being part of a
major lobbying action (groan).  I'll keep you posted if anything new
happens.

Regards, Gavin