[plug] Anybody used linux on a sony vaio VGN-TX27GP/B

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat May 6 17:14:13 WST 2006

Brad Campbell wrote:
> Gavin Chester wrote:
>
>>    >I'm installing the _latest_ ubuntu beta on the Vaio as I type
>>    >this (just to test the hardware

Forgot I'd not reported on this..

Ubuntu 6.06 Beta 2..

X "just worked".. no problems..

Sound is a winner..

Wifi just came up out of the box, (But I'm only using WEP at home atm)

USB is good..

Hibernate just hangs the system (but then I prefer suspend2, don't know what ubuntu uses)

The funky shortcut keys work and are mappable (have not managed to map the Eject key for the cdrom
yet though).. Have not figured out the volume buttons but it looks like they can have pretty
standard extended key bindings also.

Mute button appears to be hardware.

Display brightness and speedstep work out of the box..

Oh, and including the full ubuntu install, which hammers the cdrom drive and cpu.. I'm still on the
1st battery charge and we've been going about 5 hours so far.. got about 26% left.. will finish it
off when I get home.. Plus I've had the wifi running full time pulling down a couple of hundred meg
of updates, and bluetooth is enabled. Colour me impressed anyway.

Looking at the power consumption, with the backlight down about 50%, no wifi and the hard disk set
to spin down (which ubuntu does not appear to do) I estimate in excess of 6 hours editing/compiling
type use.. which will do me..

So far so good.. enough that when I have to hand this one back I'm gonna buy my own..
At $3k they are a bit spendy, but it's just sooooooooo cute..