[plug] Microsoft's insidious domination in Australian schools

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun May 7 00:16:20 WST 2006

-snip-

   >The point was not so much to say that "you're wrong because macs are
   >being used and that's ok", but more of a "I think the headmaster has
   >either been misinformed or just wants you to go away, because that
   >information is not universal in WA".
   >
   >I suspect that he's been misinformed by someone that has a particular
   >barrow to push. If you can get testimonies from people here that his
   >information is wrong, and follow those testimonies up with official
   >confirmations from the schools that have deviated a little and been
   >successful with it then you will have either a grateful headmaster
   >that will change his mind and take your idea on, or a headmaster that
   >will be honest and say he doesn't want you're help
   >thankyouverymuchgoodbye :-P
   >Some teachers/school masters don't like having their school disturbed
   >by non official movements, others will welcome them and take advantage
   >of the parents and community's willing to assist.

Your point is well made and it was my _first_ suspicion when contemplating
the turn of events.  I guess I don't want to say too much because I was
taught long ago never to say in an email that which you wouldn't say in a
room crowded with some of your least favourite people ;-)

I hope I am obvious enough without actually saying anything by telling that
Principal was initially enthusiastic about the concept of the Linux lab, but
after consultation with _certain_ other staff she apologetically rejected
it.  The Principal is a self-confessed computer ignoramus who didn't even
know what Linux was, so someone nobbled her after she spoke it over.  I
guess my approach of the open letter posted here and elsewhere was to find
out if the statement about Dept. of Education policy was as black and white
as made out to me (i.e., all schools use MS and nothing but XP).  Replies
received here suggest the opposite, that an independent-thinking govt.
school could implement a Linux lab on their own turf without head office
causing trouble.

Another tack I have taken from the outset is that I have CCd copies of my
open letter to the Principal and some of her associates, my intention being
to keep them in the loop and show that I'm not taking it lying down.  I hope
to influence them into realising their mistake and perhaps reversing their
rejection of the Linux lab.  Coupled with that I will pursue the suggestion
of sending letters to Ministers and hope also to bring pressure to bear from
outside.  Suffice to say, my enthusiasm for volunteering my time toward
working cooperatively with the school staff has all but evaporated :-(

I chaired the local Progress Association for nearly three terms of office
and eventually got out of it because of this type of petty politicking that
prevented good things happening all too often.  In that role I found that
certain types of people just want to assert their will and be damned the
consequences if they obstructed efforts that would otherwise have benefited
the community :-(  :-(  :-(

Gavin