[plug] Bootable linux on an external harddrive

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed May 10 13:06:09 WST 2006

ronald_jones at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> Hello,

> I have been looking at the LaCie GlobeTrotter 2.0 and think it is a very cool idea. It uses Mandriva and is made by a french company. I was wondering if anyone else knew if there were other (australian?) companies making bootable systems on external harddrives with other distributions.

While on this subject, how do get a bootable system installed onto a USB
hard drive?  All my machines' BIOSs will boot from a range of USB
devices (or so they say), but none of the OSs I have will see any USB
devices after booting from their respective CDs.  Hence I can't install
the OS onto the USB device.  Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Tia
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!