[plug] Bootable USB hard drive

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed May 10 15:58:04 WST 2006

I need help.  I need to know how I get a bootable system installed onto
a USB hard drive?  Google generally has returned me info that if I could
understand, I wouldn't need the help in the first place.

All my machines' BIOSs will boot from a range of USB devices (or so they
say), includung USB hard drive, but none of the OSs I have will see any
USB devices after booting from their respective CDs.  Hence I can't
install the OS onto the USB device.  Any clues would be greatly
appreciated.  My ultimate goal is to have a fully functioning USB borne
OS which I can boot from almost anybody's system.  To make it worse, I
wanted it to be my favourite distro.

Please play gently - I'm NOT overly technically minded.

Tia
Kev
Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal