[plug] Bootable USB hard drive

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Wed May 10 17:08:39 WST 2006

I feel your frustration, so I'll proffer an answer even if it's not much
good :-)

Hmm, I consider myself very technically-minded, but I don't have experience
doing what you're attempting.  So, don't dump on yourself - you will become
technically-minded if you keep trying to cross bridges like this one ;-)

Having said that, the only technical advice I can offer had been offered
previously in another thread.  That is, all distros I know of give you the
chance to create a boot floppy disk.  Using this floppy, you can then pass
certain parameters that should allow the booting to continue from your USB
device/drive.  At least, that's what I've read elsewhere, so I can't tell
you what the parameters are ;-)  Have you tried this method?

Maybe you don't have a floppy on each and every PC you want to boot?  Then,
try burning a CD with the same boot parameters as the floppy might hold.
One of those tiny CDs would be ideal since you could carry it in your
pocket.  I don't think you want a bootable (knoppix) style distro CD because
I hear that you want to boot the OS on the USB drive, not just mount your
USB drive to access files.

As far as I know, if you _do_ manage to get your favourite distro to boot
from USB, what is going to happen when you sit in front a PC that doesn't
support USB booting devices?  In other words, the solution you are chasing
is not a universal one, but the floppy/Cd boot is universal.  Just a
thought.

Gavin.