[plug] Unable to access secure web site using opera

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu May 11 13:20:52 WST 2006

Hello.

I have today tried accessing the ANZ bank Internet banking facility,
using Opera running on Debian Sarge.

Each time that I try accessing it, I can get to the ANZ home page, at
www.anz.com. In the top right corner of that page, is a facility to log
on to the Internet banking facility.

When I click on that, I get the error message:

"Unable to complete secure transaction

You tried to access the address
https://www.anz.com/inetbank/bankmain.asp, which is currently
unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly
spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other
applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and
does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may
be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers,
unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the
Internet. Reload the page.
Need help?
Open the Opera Help.
Go to Opera's on-line support desk.

Secure connection: fatal error (810)

https://www.anz.com/inetbank/bankmain.asp

Illegal, or non-verifiable certificate.
"

Up until the last ccouple of attempts today, I had been using Opera
8.52. I upgraded to Opera 8.54, and still got the same error. I am using
Opera emulating Internet Explorer 6.0.

I have been successfully using Opera to access the facility, until
today, and last accessed it yesterday.

I have phoned the ANZ Internet banking helpline, and the first call
suggested that I clear the cache and the URL history, which I did, and
it still doesn't work.

When I phoned them again, and got a different operator, I was told that
"it was working okay up until 11pm last night", and that "there are no
known problems", and that no changes have been made to the facility, and
that it gets updated every weekend, so there is no way that the facility
would have an expired certificate (last three lines of error message
above). I also asked whether the facility uses Kerebos, which validates
vistors' identities (but does not validate that a "secure" web site is
valid. I was told quite definitely, that the facility does not use
Kerebos, so it should not be an issue with my web browser.

I was told that I should enable all pop-ups, which I had previously
disabled, and I did that, and it still doesn't work. With all unwanted
popups blocked, I was still previously able to access the Internet
banking facility, which uses pop-ups. I note that the error message that
I get, is itself a pop-up, so to have been able to get that, shows that
the issue of pop-ups, was irrelevant.

I can access the login screen, using Firefox 1.5.0.1, but, as CERT
advisories have previously shown problems with Mozilla nd Firefox, I
use only Opera, for Internet banking, and accessing https URL's. I have
tried changing the Opera emulation, from IE 6, to Mozilla 5, and, to
Opera itself, but it makes no difference, in that, for each browser
identification, I still get the same error message.

Using Opera, I am still able to access other web sites, that are not
included in the history/cache.

Does anyone have any idea, as to what is the problem, and, as to why the
facility is no longer accessible using Opera?

Or, is this just yet another case of bodgy systems engineers in big
corporations?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby