[plug] Debian Security updates on CD-ROM?

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 17 16:00:47 WST 2006

My laptop has Debian Sarge (v3.1) installed.  I recently ran
  apt-get upgrade
(in test mode) and found out the following:
  146 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
  Need to get 164MB of archives.

The scary thing is that I (mostly) only have packages from Sarge disk 1
installed.  Imagine how many packages would have to be upgraded if I
had limitless disk space and had installed from the first couple of
disks??  (Or a DVD.)

Does anyone have interest in being involved with a PLUG project to
develop an up-to-date CD-ROM of Security updates, to be brought along
to installfests?  I imagine it would be practical to use apt-cdrom to
get info from this hypothetical CD-ROM into the available package
lists on a given machine.

(Meanwhile, I suppose I could gakk from a repository at UWA whilst on
campus.)

My Debian Security updates are handled by the following line
in /etc/apt/sources.list:
  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
Is there an equivalent repository on WAIX?

PS -- See <http://www.debian.org/security/> for general info.