[plug] cant boot system any longer

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:57:23 WST 2006

Rob Dunne wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> I have
> CONFIG_SCSI=m
>
> is this the problem?
>
> I can still boot by selecting an older kernel during the boot process
> but I was hoping that a 2.6 kernel would fix some otehr problems.
>
> Bye
> Rob

Okay scsi is a module. When your system boots, unless it has an extra
source of drivers to fetch (this means an initrd/initramfs), its not
going to load the modules for your scsi/sata hard drive, and therefore
not make the device node for /dev/sda (as there's no scsi support at
that stage in boot).

Then the next thing to check is your initrd; does that have the scsi
module for your specific hardware? Eg. If I booted a system with an
AHA2940, I need the aha2940 driver either in the kernel (compiled
statically, which is not the case for your scenario) or in an
initrd/initramfs so the system can load this ramdisk, load the modules
within, and continue booting to find the root device.

Tomasz