[plug] Firefox helper applications.

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 22 09:23:18 WST 2006

For some reason, Firefox has made totem (possibly the most useless
program ever written) the default player for viewing videos on websites,
rather than my preferred vlc player. I can't find anywhere in the
Firefox settings where it actually has specified totem, so am unable to
alter it.

I had the idea of deleting totem from the system altogether in the hope
that Ff would then ask for another application, but synaptic informs me
that to delete totem I would also have to delete ubuntu-desktop - which
sounds like a BAD idea. I'm not 100% sure tho, is ubuntu-desktop a
critical application? Is it what I think it is? The actual desktop?

Any suggestions on how to make vlc my preferred helper application would
be greatly appreciated.

Jason