[plug] Re: [plug-announce] ** May Workshop Reminder **

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon May 22 10:13:24 WST 2006

Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> Cool okay. Just on that note, are there going to be any network
> cripples in effect tonight? Last time, the network was limited without
> anyone (at least around my table) being notified and I spent ages
> trying to solve a network problem on three machines that didn't work.

As with last month, the network will be restricted to subnets which PLUG
will not be charged for.  Usually UWA, WAIX, other Australian
universities and most American and European universities are free.  This
includes some high-profile sites such as ftp.debian.org.  Unfortunately,
we have to pay 4c/MB for other traffic.

In the past, people were abusing the free fast internet connection for
large downloads (and according to traffic logs, connecting to
peer-to-peer file sharing networks).  PLUG was being charged close to
$50 per month for this, which is not a sustainable situation.

> >> The website states: [When: Monday 29 May 2006, 7:30pm - 11:00pm]

Whoops.  I'm not sure who put that there, but I apologise on behalf of
the PLUG webmasters.

Cameron