[plug] Firefox helper applications.

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon May 22 10:31:05 WST 2006

On 5/22/06, Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> For some reason, Firefox has made totem (possibly the most useless
> program ever written) the default player for viewing videos on websites,
> rather than my preferred vlc player. I can't find anywhere in the
> Firefox settings where it actually has specified totem, so am unable to
> alter it.
>

> Any suggestions on how to make vlc my preferred helper application would
> be greatly appreciated.

Learn the magic of /etc/mailcap
I can't remember if entries at the top override entries below it, or
the other way around. I think it's entries at the top, override. But
for example, (I don't have totem installed) my video is handled
via....

video/mpeg; gxine '%s'; description="MPEG Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/mpeg; /usr/bin/xmms '%s'; description="MPEG video files";
test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/mpeg; vlc '%s'; description="MPEG Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/x-mpeg; vlc '%s'; description="MPEG Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/mpeg-system; vlc '%s'; description="MPEG Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/x-mpeg-system; vlc '%s'; description="MPEG Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
audio/x-wav; nametemplate=%s.wav; vlc '%s'; description="WAV Audio";
test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
video/mpeg4; vlc '%s'; description="MPEG-4 Video"; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

I am fairly sure this means for video/mpeg (mime type) it will use
gxine. (Which sounds righ to me, as the last time I was playing with
embedded videos, was with gxine for CA)

Basically, for you, find the vlc entries you need, and put them at the
top, in the users area.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956