[plug] New toy just arrived

meyerri meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue May 23 17:06:01 WST 2006

>> So what I'm doing is
>> 1) booting Bill's wet dream - gawd XP is fouler than W2k (whish is,
>> incidentally not *too* bad)
>
>Sorry, but I could handle when people said that pre-SP1, I even let
>it go
>after that, alike to the Win3.11 loving nazi's (years after Windows95
>came
>out) spouted their ongoing love for Win3.xx and its nastiness....
>But
>please!  That argument (Win2k > WinXP) is dead and buried.

I'm just putting it the way I see it, and I upgraded from 98 to 2000
about 18 months ago because of stability. All I use Windows for at
home (until this job) is gaming. This job requires VPN clients that
(sort of) only run on Windows, or you have to backlevel your Linuz
quite a bit.

I used 2K while at IBM and was quite impressed with it in that in 2
years there, I only BSOD'd about three times, except for bad
automatic updates. Admittedly the software I was using wasn't the
world's most intensive.

>I'm no Windows Fanboy (anymore), but WinXP boots faster, runs better,
>loads
>apps quicker and is ten times better to look at on most machines I've
>tried
>it on even my initial Duron 700 (circa 2001 when XP first came out).
>I run
>it currently on my old Compaq Armada Laptop (PIII 733, dual boot, of
>course
>:P) and where Win2k failed time and time again with regards to
>performance
>and power management (battery life, standby, etc) Windows XP charges
>along
>nicely.  Not to mention the fact it'll run even faster if you don't
>like all
>the colourful "bling" that any Win2k user will despise.

That is probably what I despise most - foul "bling" for no real
reason.

>It's a shame I'm still so dependant on Windows for my work (.NET
>Development), but I'll never go near Windows 2000 (which was a
>fantastic OS
>in its time, mind you) again.

I don't have to be too dependant, but probably if I want to get the
best out of this machine, without Linux, XP is the way to go ...  :-(