[plug] New toy just arrived

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue May 23 17:15:51 WST 2006

-snip-

   >3) deciding that a Synaptics pad is the invention of either the devil
   >or Bill Gates - for some reason I have a "heavy finger" which
   >transmits clicks when I'm trying to move the cursor - also the stupid
   >thing doesn't realise that when I tap on the touchpad with my middle
   >("up-yours" or proctological) finger I want a *RIGHT* click - is that
   >so hard?  So I've disabled taps there.

Richard, I presume the "synaptics pad" is a touchpad?  With me having sung
the praises of touchpads in a different thread, I can relate that there is a
learning curve to the beasts, but once climbed you'll never go back ;-)

I'll spout off some unsolicited tips since you sound new to, or loathing of,
the use of the touchpad:
1/ I find that setting your mouse acceleration/motion higher than standard
is essential to minimise finger work and avoid strain.   For example, the
default mouse level is typically '2' (I don't know if that number has any
units of G force or something :-/ ) but I get best mileage with a setting of
at least '4'.  My goal is to be able to traverse the width of a screen as my
finger traverses the width of the touchpad.  I just hate having to lift and
reposition my finger ;-)
2/ with that rapid movement, fine control can seem difficult.  But, it is
just a matter of technique and try rolling your finger pad to get very fine
pointer movement, rather than trying to slide your finger.  The latter
simply doesn't work well.
3/  As for the 'heavy finger' syndrome, I don't have any enlightening advice
there other than your touch will develop with time :-O.  If you have initial
trouble mastering the double-click on the pad, you might also try mastering
use of finger for steering the pointer while simultaneously choosing to
click the left button with your thumb and/or the right button with one of
your other non-steering fingers.  If really in a tight spot, you can bring
your other hand into play.
4/ as for touchpads that have 'hotspots' that equate to a right-click or
mouse wheel, all you can do is learn to use it :-O  I can empathise, because
when I switch from a touchpad without 'hotspots' to one that has them I find
myself always right-clicking when all I wanted was to left-click.

As far as unsolicited advice goes, all the above is pretty damn obvious once
you've sat in front of a touchpad for an hour or so.  Sorry to be a bearer
of redundant info ;-)

Gavin