[plug] re installind linux

Brian Parish bmp at univexsystems.com
Tue May 23 23:00:29 WST 2006

Gavin Chester wrote:

> [...]
This is probably peripheral to the problem, but is perhaps relevant to Gavin's post:

Recently did an install on a client machine with a SATA drive.  Install
was fine.  Initial boot was fine.  Configured network, printers etc.
All looking good.  Reboot - kernel panic.

Took a while to figure out but:

SATA drives are mapped as SCSI devices
Printer was one of these fancy MFCs with photo card slots
Photo cards slots are mapped as SCSI devices
Guess what happens when you reboot with the printer plugged in and SDA
gets mapped to the card reader instead of the system disk? ;-)

cheers
Brian