[plug] re installind linux

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue May 23 23:43:03 WST 2006

-snip-

   >This is probably peripheral to the problem, but is perhaps
   >relevant to Gavin's post:

May well be - read on :-)

   >Recently did an install on a client machine with a SATA drive.  Install
   >was fine.  Initial boot was fine.  Configured network, printers etc.
   >All looking good.  Reboot - kernel panic.
   >
   >Took a while to figure out but:
   >
   >SATA drives are mapped as SCSI devices
   >Printer was one of these fancy MFCs with photo card slots
   >Photo cards slots are mapped as SCSI devices
   >Guess what happens when you reboot with the printer plugged in and SDA
   >gets mapped to the card reader instead of the system disk? ;-)

I don't know about Chris' case, but this could certainly be worth looking at
in the case of my son's PC since we DID have a HP "fancy MFC" plugged in and
'on' during all install & reboot operations with his PC :-O  Thanks for the
tip :-)  BTW:  My son found, as I've since read elsewhere, that enabling
legacy support in his BIOS might have allowed Fedora on his SATA, but killed
his chance of dual-booting XP.  That fix only works if you want to dual-boot
98 & Me, apparently.

Gavin