[plug] Linux vendor in bed with the Redmond Monster

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 3 10:18:48 WST 2006

Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> writes:
>On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 09:07 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:

>> Novell in bed with the Redmond Monster?  I shrieked when I read this
>> press release from Novell today (snippet below):
>>
>> "Today, Microsoft and Novell announced an historic new initiative.
>> Important primarily because it means a lot to the communities we serve.
>> Most notably, our customers. See release here:
>> http://novellevents.novell.com/t/1449697/51247086/2401/0/

Null pointer (java)... f'n dynamic content.

>> Let me begin by quickly outlining what we just announced. Microsoft and
>> Novell, starting today, have agreed to build and market solutions so
>> that Novell's technology works on Microsoft and vice versa."

>> Is this a wise case of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
>> or is Novell modelling itself on Microsoft?  It worries me because I
>> have switched to using Suse in the last 6 mths because I found it the
>> best distro for me by far.  Your comment on the news invited.

>And more at
>http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/02/microsoft-supports-linux-via-novell-satan-phones-gates-regarding/
>and
>http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20693208%5E15306,00.html

>Seems like a non-assertion of patents on the M$ side but nothing 100%
>yet, until Balmer and co announce it today ...

Also
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/microsoft_novell_suse_linux/print.html
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "If we let things terrify us,
 X   against HTML mail     |  life will not be worth living."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.