[plug] Linux vendor in bed with the Redmond Monster

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 3 09:46:11 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 09:07 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> Novell in bed with the Redmond Monster?  I shrieked when I read this
> press release from Novell today (snippet below):
>
> "Today, Microsoft and Novell announced an historic new initiative.
> Important primarily because it means a lot to the communities we serve.
> Most notably, our customers. See release here:
> http://novellevents.novell.com/t/1449697/51247086/2401/0/
>
> Let me begin by quickly outlining what we just announced. Microsoft and
> Novell, starting today, have agreed to build and market solutions so
> that Novell's technology works on Microsoft and vice versa."
>
> Is this a wise case of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"
> or is Novell modelling itself on Microsoft?  It worries me because I
> have switched to using Suse in the last 6 mths because I found it the
> best distro for me by far.  Your comment on the news invited.
>
> Gavin

And more at
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/02/microsoft-supports-linux-via-novell-satan-phones-gates-regarding/
and
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20693208%5E15306,00.html

Seems like a non-assertion of patents on the M$ side but nothing 100%
yet, until Balmer and co announce it today ...

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629