[plug] Linux vendor in bed with the Redmond Monster

Russell russellsteicke at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 18:58:35 WST 2006

On 11/3/06, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Brings to mind an old saying :
>
> If you can't beat them, join them.
>
> I suppose that this arrangement will mean the subversion of open source
> into closed propriety systems.
>
> Quite some ago I called Microsoft a "Parasitic Juggernaut" - now it looks
> like the parasite (Microsoft) has found a new and willing host  (Novell) -
>  and between them they will suck open source dry - all for the sake of a
> profit.
>
> If any new players look like breaking onto the scene - they will be
> attacked by the willing host and its parasite.

I think you're ignoring the strength of the GPL.  Take note of this
inspired paragraph in particular:

    5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
  signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
  distribute the Program or its derivative works.  These actions are
  prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. ...

I'm sure the lawyers and executives at Microsoft have read this, and
I'm equally sure that they realise the power of that paragraph.

The point is that there is nothing they can do about this provision of
the GPL, aside from lobbying for weaker copyright law.  That is
probably not something they would even consider.

Novell probably doesn't own copyright to much of what they distribute
in SUSE, so obtaining a licence to distribute a hypothetical
proprietary "Microsoft Linux" isn't an option.

--
Virus found in this message, somewhere.  But we're not going to tell you where.