[plug] Dying Samba Server

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 20:39:40 WST 2006

On 11/8/06, Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> > (out of interest: who here watches or graphs the temperature of their disks?)
> >
> > [root at hosting-2 ~]# smartctl -A /dev/hda | grep Temp
> > 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   030   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       30
> > [root at hosting-2 ~]# smartctl -A /dev/hdc | grep Temp
> > 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   035   048   000    Old_age   Always       -       35
> > [root at hosting-2 ~]#
>
> Always, with E-mail monitoring of SMART, mdadm and the machine internal temperature to notify me if
> the AC is failing or icing up.

I have mine monitored by Munin, which easily monitors both the server,
and my machine.

Of course, with the number of HDD's Brad run's, it would be stupid to
not monitor :p

For those interested, http://linuxalien .ath .cx/ (remove the spaces,
I don't want bots spidering my server) should redirect you to the
munin graphs. You can see things like when I clean air filters, and
add HDD's (although that's not 100% correct, as I forgot to tell
munin-node to monitor the new HDD).

Oh, and if you look at the memory graphs on linjeni, those 10Gb peaks,
that's serious video editing :p

I'm not real happy with the drive temps how they are atm. I need a new
arrangement for them. The case I want to build will have 6 HDD spots,
120mm fan per 3 slots with plenty of air flow. I currently have 4
drives (linjeni) served by a single 80mm fan, which shock horror, only
covers 2 drives!

Brad, I notice you appear to have all SATA drives except for the boot
drive in your main machine? :p I have basically just SATA now in my
workstation. Sooo much nicer :p

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956