[plug] Semi OT - OS X "Network Discovery" and SLP

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 10:11:27 WST 2006

On 11/9/06, Paul Arch <paul at esidium.com.au> wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
> > Ok, I have a little problem. I'm building a "NAS" box (Network Area
> > Storage) that is designed to automate backups on a network. The target
> > network is obviously small home networks, unix based of course :p
> >
> > I'm specifically setting it up for a OS X based home network, with 1/2
> > the computers running off an airport express basestation.
> <snip>
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I am not exactly sure about the answer to your Airport/Dynamic IP
> address question, but at the end of the day does it matter ?
>
> If you setup your NAS box with a static IP ( and leave the others as
> they are, if it's workin' don't touch it ;) ), and then get your clients
> to connect TO your NAS box with something like rsync ( which is avail.
> for Linux, OS X, Windows etc ).

The issue is more that I want automated pull backup's, not push. And
from a lot of research, this appears to be the best method.
The laptops are probably not a problem, as they initiate a pull backup
at ifup time. (Simple ssh command that schedules a backup).
The backup system runs rdiff-backup which is similar to rsync, but
does reverse diffs so you get reversioning in the backup. It also
saves OS X forks for example of you :p

Posted in Uncategorized | Edit |
This ad which rsync (default OS X version) doesn't and I don't feel
like compiling rsync with forks for OS X.

I have looked at freenas, but I guess it's almost wrong to call this
project a NAS. The main feature is automated backups. Also, part of
the intention is to minimise costs, while using hardware that would
otherwise be useless... Hence nice little Computer Angels Compaq
Deskpro's :p

I'll have a dig into bonjour and see what I can do.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au