[plug] Semi OT - OS X "Network Discovery" and SLP

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at ursys.com.au
Thu Nov 9 10:55:36 WST 2006

On 09/11/2006, at 10:11 AM, Timothy White wrote:
<SNIP>

> The issue is more that I want automated pull backup's, not push. And
> from a lot of research, this appears to be the best method.

In my experience neither way is the best method. The best method is
to use NFS (or am-utils / automountd) to export NFS shares and have
them accessible at all times from all the machines on the network.
Then save any important data to the NFS mount rather than local disk.
This is the typical design of any commercial NAS anyway.

If you use am-utils then you can have the users home directory
mounted when they log in automatically, so it appears that they are
saving to the local disk, but in fact are saving to the NFS share.

Adam.