[plug] aarrgh - file system becomes 'read-only'

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Nov 9 16:41:49 WST 2006

I have an intermittent problem whereby every partition, for every user
and root, becomes 'read-only' mid-flight and ... well, you can imagine
the problems that causes :-(

I suspect a hardware problem.  My PC is a Dell Precision 450 and I have
two 36GB scsi drives connected to a Dell 53C1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual
Ultra320 scsi adapter, such that they are seen as a single 72GB logical
volume.  I run opensuse 10.1.

I am going to look and see if I can get a bios upgrade for this card and
the MB, but meantime where would I look to see if my suspicion about
hardware, rather than software, is correct.  That is, which would be the
most likely log file, if it's logging that fault at all?

Also, in your collective wisdom, am I on track to suspect hardware
becoming dodgy?  There is no consistent pattern to when it happens, but
perhaps it seems most likely to be associated with having pushed the
cpus and file I/O quite hard.

Any ideas welcome.  BTW:  I can recover by rebooting and repairing the
file system.

Gavin