[plug] [Rant/Cry for Help] SSH SO SLOW

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 07:43:14 WST 2006

On 11/16/06, Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
>
> > I guess I forgot to mention that I do need some sort of remote command
> > facility, as it's a little like rsync, in that it only transfers the
> > differences. (rdiff-backup is very nice).
> > I think rsh would do what I need, which under Debian, by default is
> > redirected to ssh :(
>
> Install rsh-client ;-)

Interesting twist. I have 10Gb of data to move onto this little box
today. Thought I'd be smart and use FTP....

Got a data rate of, less than 1/2 MB a second? Actually, probably even
slow than that. So in the background I started a ssh -c arcfour
connection to transfer it, and it's going at ~1MB/s. It peaks at
roughly 2.1MB/s, and doesn't drop below 900K/s

So, how is ssh quicker than ftp?!?! Same set of files. Also, if I
renice some things on the little machine, I sit between 2.1MB/s and
2.3MB/s :D
So this shows that ssh is probably CPU bound.... So what's up with ftp then!?!?

I'm going to try NFS in a minute as well.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au