[plug] java error

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Tue Nov 21 16:51:13 WST 2006

Gavin,

> That all seems okay, but when I try and run these two java apps I get
> the exact same error message:
>
> gavin1 at susey:~/downloads> java -jar bidnobble.jar
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: can't load
> com.birosoft.liquid.LiquidLookAndFeel
>
> gavin1 at susey:~/downloads> java -jar JBidWatcher-1.0.jar
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: can't load
> com.birosoft.liquid.LiquidLookAndFeel

Does it run console Java apps, such as:

class Test {
  public static Main(String args[]) {
    System.out.println("Hello, world!");
  }
}

> The fact that it happened with two different apps tells me that the
> problem lies with my box.  There is slightly different output after
> those lines but that is the main clincher and the rest is just details.
> I've also tried running it as superuser but it's the same error.  I had
> a look at birosoft.com, but that was no good, and I tried googling on
> the error message, but got no hits at all.  Short of trying posting to a
> suse forum I've got no idea :-/

That says that Java is looking for that particular Look and Feel.

I found:

  http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1059.html

Although it's for OS X, it succinctly tells you what you need to do.

Here's another
link:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html

Try doing:

java -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -jar
blah.jar

That *might* override the setting in the app.

DSL