[plug] iVEC Seminar > High Performance Computing, where to next?

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 17:48:23 WST 2006

I want to thank Stuart for extending the invitation to the PLUggers to
see and hear Dr Eng Lim Goh, SGI CTO, talking about their XXXFlops
machines!

It was a very interesting talk and quite impressive to see Eng Lim
juggling with art with his 270 slides Powerpoint presentation, with
embedded movies and a slide for every question we had! You don't get to
be the CTO of SGI if you don't know your subject! :)

It is interesting to see that the memory size, the numbers of
processors grow every year, but the software stays quite the same...
Interesting to see that MatLab, Fortran and C are still in use after
all these years since the Cray-1 or CDC Cyber 205! I wish I had time
and the machine to see if my heuristic simulator/compiler from 1986 on
16 processors would still work on these new machines... That was real
fun :)

Thanks to Stuart and the staff at iVec/ARRC for a superb venue!

I am looking forward to the next one, whatever it could be!

Fred