[plug] Using a HDD with Badsectors

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 28 12:43:52 WST 2006

Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> writes:
>On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:01 +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> "Arie Hol" <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> writes:
>> >On 27 Nov 2006 at 9:04, Bernd Felsche wrote:

>-snip-

>> You will still get failures. I now have 4 out of 6 18G U329 Seagates
>							^^^^
>				do you mean U320 (as in, scsi)?

Yeah.. my finger's too short to reach the zero. :-)

>> dead, within service life and warranty. All the same model. Looks
>> like a bad model or batch.
>>
>> Unfortunately the retailer from whom I bought them is no longer in
>> business.

>In such case your warranty is not void.  If you still have proof of
>purchase then Seagate's distributor in Oz would have to honour the
>warranty or point you to another retailer/wholesaler that would do so on
>their behalf.  SCSI drives are not meant to be throw-away like PATA
>drives ;-)

Not at about $300 (ea) original purchase price; less than 3 years ago.

I've had some difficulty contacting the Australian distributor. :-(
I'll try again after I get back from Melbourne.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "If we let things terrify us,
 X   against HTML mail     |  life will not be worth living."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.