[plug] Daylight Rubbish

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:08:53 WST 2006

On 11/27/06, Jonathan Young <jonathan at pcphix.com> wrote:

>  You will still need new zone files. NTP syncs on UTC, which is the only
> sane way to do things. (Not that UTC is particularly sane anyway -
> hello leap seconds at unpredictable times!)
>  I currently admin a few Linux boxes.  Mainly (in fact mostly) Debian.  All
> here in WA.
>
>  My forte is Windows, but I have some idea what I'm doing.  It's just with
> the Linux boxes, I rarely have to DO anything at all!
>
>  Can anyone suggest what steps one should be taking prior to and during the
> changeover to make sure this goes smoothly?
>
>  In particular,
>
>  (1)  What needs to be updated and where to I get it?

To the best of my knowledge, just install the right zone files

http://matt.ucc.asn.au/time/

>  (2)  How do I make the changes take effect and does it matter if people are
> working on the network at the time?

Time should just jump AFAIK. If all computers are patched, then it
won't matter, as everyone should jump roughly the same time. I can
only see issues if one server jumps way ahead of others, and then you
have time stamps too far into the future for example, which throws
sudo off.

>  (3)  How critical is it and what checks do I need to be making / what
> should I watch out for in particular?

Any "calendar/meeting" software. I'm enjoying watching M$ screw up
everything with their new patches etc etc. Patches get applied, then
that evening critical Patches are applied, and people hold their
breath that all the meetings they had to change the time off, won't
have to be changed back. I won't mention which company, but it was a
fun few days from what I heard.

>  Also, a question I think I know the answer to... What happens if you just
> change the clock in the BIOS during a reboot?

Depends on how your computer gets it's time. Right now, I'm really
glad all my Linux boxes have the BIOS in UTC time. That way, the
hardware clock doesn't need to change, and Linux can hum along like
normal, with new zone files :D

Hope that answers some of your questions, if not, ask again, and
hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer them!

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au