[plug] recovering data off scratched cd

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Nov 30 21:23:59 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 21:05 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 20:50 +0800, Caleb Duggan wrote:
> > I have a game cd(caesar 3) which has been scratched somehow and is unable
> > to install as a result. Does anybody know of any decent tools to recover
> > data from a damaged cd in linux?
>
> Toothpaste works for me.  Lightly buff the surface with toothpaste and
> water. You may be able to remove the scratch enough to get a good read.
> Always worked for me but ymmv.  Buff too much and you will go though the
> protective surface then you have no chance.

Amazing the things you can do with toothpaste. One of the things we used
it for in the army was for treating burns (not 3rd degree burns or
anything THROUGH the skin). Next time you get a blistery burn from a
soldering iron, or an iron, just smear on a layer of toothpaste and it
seems to suck the heat right out.

> Regards,
> Tim Bowden
>

> > thanks

Marriage is learning about women the hard way.

Linux Counter user #306629