[plug] DIY hosting - worth it?

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Oct 1 01:04:11 WST 2006

Patrick Coleman wrote:
> On 9/30/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
>> DIY hosting - is it worth it?
>
> If you're going to have that kind of downtime you mentioned, then its
> going to be a pain hosting at home IMHO. Better to go colo if you need
> the flexibility; it will be a heap faster and more reliable than
> anything you can do at home (economies of scale and all that) but you
> will be looking at spending a bit of money. You'll have to do the
> maths and work out your power consumption and network costs and
> downtime at home, versus savings on hosting your own domains etc and
> see if its worth it.
>
> That said, Hostaway (formerly Arachnet) do very decent colo from about
> $70/m for 2RU (which might even be cheaper than satellite). I've got a
> box hosted with them, and I gather PLUG has had a server or two there
> for quite a while. I'd definitely recommend looking at them if you
> decide to go down that route.

I've just co-located a mac mini with mythic-beasts.com in the UK. I also have a VDS with them
running my backup DNS. Certainly worth checking out if you are after something funky.

The mac-mini (they supplied it and set it up) fully supported is about the same cost as just the
hosting for a 1U co-lo.

Really happy with their service also.

Brad