[PLUG] Problems with permissions and group membership...I thnik

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Oct 3 19:23:12 WST 2006

On 1 Oct 2006 at 1:10, sothisistheinternet wrote:

> I made a test directory with the same result: members of the sambaaccess
> group cannot cd into it unless I use newgrp sambaaccess (and even then,
> it's only for that shell window, not other programs):
>
>[root at server1 /]# mkdir /test
>[root at server1 /]# chmod 770 /test
>[root at server1 /]# chgrp sambaaccess /test

Just guessing here - but :

Would it make any difference if you changed the owner of the '/test'
directory to be the 'sambaaccess' group ???

My thinking is - if root created the directory - then root is the owner -
maybe if you change the owner of the directory - then maybe things could
be different - I hope.

Regards Arie