[PLUG] Problems with permissions and group membership...I thnik

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Oct 1 10:56:51 WST 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 01:10, sothisistheinternet wrote:
> I made a test directory with the same result: members of the sambaaccess
> group cannot cd into it unless I use newgrp sambaaccess (and even then,
> it's only for that shell window, not other programs):
> [root at server1 /]# mkdir /test
> [root at server1 /]# chmod 770 /test
> [root at server1 /]# chgrp sambaaccess /test
>
> this has got to be something so obvious that I'm going to feel very
> silly....right?

Dunno about feeling silly, but I got caught with what sounds like the same
problem - the group add does not take effect until you log out and back in
again because your current session uses a copy of the conditions (group
memberships included) when you started it. Killing your current terminal and
starting another under a single GUI session is not enough.

Steve

--
Steve Boak, (08) 9756 0662, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022