[plug] DIY hosting - worth it?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Oct 1 22:15:17 WST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 22:11 +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> > I can think of some pitfalls:  need for dedicated box with UPS,
> chewing
> > power having it 'on' all the time,
> [...]
>
> I know you mentioned money being non-existant for this project, but if
> you
> want to save on your power bill I recommend one of the VIA EPIA
> M-Series
> Mini-ITX Mainboards,

If I do go 'live' from home, that is certainly the sort of hardware I
was considering.  Thanks for sharing that it has worked well for you for
a while now.  There's still a lot to consider, but that tackles the
hardware - the other hardware option I may be forced to consider is to
buy a 1-2RU server 2nd hand cheap on eBay to use either at home or
colo.

Gavin