[plug] DIY hosting - worth it?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Oct 1 22:27:07 WST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 22:35 +0800, Josh Fletcher wrote:
> I started off hosting at home but found that it was just too much of a
> pain in the ass when i was constantly downloading stuff (i regularly
> hit my 28gb cap each month) so running a business, off-site hosting
> was the way to go.

Your site must have been drawing a hell of a lot of traffic in addition
to your downloading :-/  I only envisage my site(s) being small traffic,
and if that changed then I'd consider changing everything, anyway.

>  i went with www.dreamhost.com in america and they have been
> excellent, i would highly recommend them.

I'll check it out, thanks :-)

>  as someone said previously, if you are using adsl personally, then
> hosting your own site will cost more just by reducing your surfing
> speeds, costing you power, having to have the hardware in place etc
> etc. hosting off-site is cheap and usually a much better alternative.

I take your advice and you make all valid points.  OTOH, one of the
reason that I would consider home-hosting is _because_ the dsl bandwidth
would be there begging to be used, so why not host a site or five?
Still lots to think about, it may get too hard to commit anyway ;-)

Gavin