[plug] apt-cacher

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 3 15:05:36 WST 2006

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I run a transparent http cache at home which caches the packages
> files.  I then have an NFS export for my debian and ubuntu servers
> (one for each) which they can then dump packages onto.
>
> This seems to do the job quite nicely!
>
> What does apt-proxy/apt-cacher give you over that?

Apt-cacher keeps all of your cached packages in a repository format.
So, if you're running several similar machines on a LAN, you simply
point their package managers at the apt-cacher respository.  So, the
server probably, has apt-cacher installed.  All updates or other
packages are downloaded into the server (apt-cacher).  This means that
you only have to download packages once from the world, and all machines
within the LAN can use the internal repository for their updates etc.

It works-a-treat :-)

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal