[plug] apt-cacher

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:08:08 WST 2006

On 10/3/06, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:

> I run a transparent http cache at home which caches the packages
> files.  I then have an NFS export for my debian and ubuntu servers
> (one for each) which they can then dump packages onto.
>
> This seems to do the job quite nicely!
>
> What does apt-proxy/apt-cacher give you over that?

It's easy(ier) to setup, I suppose. Just install the server, change
the clients to point at the server and you're done. Otherwise, its
essentially the same as your transparent http cache, just somewhat
tuned for holding packages rather than HTTP files.

I did try the 'common NFS share' approach at one point, but I had a
lot of trouble with locking (multiple computers on the network
couldn't have aptitude or apt-get open at the same time). How did you
get around that?

Cheers,

Patrick

--