[plug] apt-cacher

Steve McLevie groupsmcl at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 3 17:17:21 WST 2006

Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 15:37 +0800, Steve McLevie wrote:
>
>> Since I have only 2 machines I might also just copy the folder in
>> question !!
>>

> Presumptuous of me to chip in here, since I don't run debian and know a
> little about nothing ;-)
>
> If the other tools recommended to you so far are buggy and you you only
> have two PCs, why not just setup apt NOT to flush its cache on the PC
> that does the upgrades and then copy that cache folder across to the
> other PC, or just share the folder on your lan.  Then point apt on the
> 2nd PC to that local store of files.  I did this with yum once on a
> fedora setup, so do-able with apt too, I imagine.
>
> Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Yes, I did it too in frustration at one point last week.  I copied the
whole collection across.  It worked.

But getting a more automated solution would be nice.  The idea behind
apt-cacher is a really blindingly obvious solution / requirement
especially in a low bandwidth situation.  Its a pity it isn't integrated
into a package management program.

The funny thing is I just got ADSL2 at home and its so fast I can't tell
whether I'm getting the package locally or from the internet !  AND I
found out that iinet has a server for Debian which has free traffic ...
but still.  I want to solve it now - its one of those things to achieve !

I just feel for the ones not as fortunate as myself and for the extra
CO2 used with all the excess downloading across the globe.

:-)

Cheers,