[plug] Drive Overlays and Linux.

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 13:23:54 WST 2006

On 10/4/06, Lee Jamieson <leejam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> I've got a p2 machine which is my webserver, and as it's old I doubt
> that there's any updates for the bios to accept a large(ish) drive.
> I'd like to put a 300 - 500Gb drive in to act as network storage.
>
> I have a small drive ~6Gb for / and everything else, so I wouldn't
> have to boot off the large drive.
>
> Do drive overlays work?  do I need one?
>
> Another question, is there a command line tool to find out what Mhz
> this machine's running at?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> -
> Regards,
>
> Lee Jamieson

Try
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
The BIOS possible won't support these drives from the mobo's IDE bus,
you can try quite harmlessly though (see what happens after you boot
Linux, ignore what the BIOS tells you). The other cheap option is to
pay ~$50 for a PCI IDE controller than can handle these drives. Keep
your kernel, bootloader etc on the 6GB and Linux will see everything
else just fine.

Tomasz