[plug] Drive Overlays and Linux.

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Wed Oct 4 13:44:45 WST 2006

> On 10/4/06, Lee Jamieson <leejam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hiya all,
> >
> > I've got a p2 machine which is my webserver, and as it's old I doubt
> > that there's any updates for the bios to accept a large(ish) drive.
> > I'd like to put a 300 - 500Gb drive in to act as network storage.
> >
> > I have a small drive ~6Gb for / and everything else, so I wouldn't

You could do that. Alternatively, just boot off a floppy drive or CD-ROM.
You might use the 6GB drive just for /boot. After booting you can spin it
down. (Those old drives are noisy.)
Either way, you can still have the root partition on the big drive, just
not the kernel.

Better yet, go to Computer Angels, and buy a PIII box for $25.

> > Do drive overlays work?  do I need one?

When the old 6GB drive dies, you might regret that.

> Try
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo

> The BIOS possible won't support these drives from the mobo's IDE bus,

But you only need the BIOS for loading the kernel & initrd, don't you?

Mike.