[plug] firefox printing glitch

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Oct 5 16:37:02 WST 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Gavin Chester wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 12:12 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:

> -snip-
>
>> Thanks for your feedback, Arie.  Curious you have a different experience
>> - perhaps then I could blame the packager, since I installed the upgrade
>> from the suse repos.  In the end, I got around to downgrading to firefox
>> 1.5.0.6 and my printing dialogue is back to 'full interactive' mode :-)
>> Perhaps just a 'heads-up' example for the sake of the archives :-/
>>
>> Gavin
>
> Forgive me if I'm rambling on with this thread, just trying to be
> helpful by reporting my own discovery of 'bugs' ;-)
>
> Another glitch that firefox 1.5.0.7 had for me was that the plugin for
> opening pdfs in a browser window was broken and it insisted on the ol'
> blank window/tab and wget download trick :-(
>
> Downgrading to 1.5.0.6 fixed that problem, too, as a side effect.
>
> Gavin.

I use Mozilla for PDF files, as it allows more of a selection of
actions. I can choose to open with either gpdf or Acrobat (and Acrobat
is consistent with printing in black - sometimes gpdf decides to print
balck as red), or to save to disk.

Firefox has its uses, but it appears to have problems with memory
handling, that make it unstable, and sometimes I need to open then close
gimp, to clear memory that is stuffed by Firefox, and I limit the uses
for Firefox, and tend to use Mozilla, and Opera, more, as they are more
stable, and more useful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale