[plug] USB flash data recovery

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Oct 13 15:35:25 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:52 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 21:26 +0800, caston at arach.net.au wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A law student called me up earlier this evening wanting me to help her recover
> > some word documents on a usb memory flash drive that appear to scrambled.
> > She didn't send me one of the documents via e-mail and there was no way that
> > oo.o could open it.
> >
> > I'm there tomorrow afternoon to try to help her. I already got her to try PC
> > inspector smart recovery and she wasn't able to recover them with that.
> >
> > I'm going to bring my laptop and I thought it might be an idea to see if I can
> > mount the fat32 filesystem on the memory key with Linux and see if there is any
> > way I can recover the data.
> >
> > Any ideas that may help?
> >
> > best regards,
> >
> > Chris Caston
>
> At the risk of being ostracised from the list, and having my posts
> deleted unread, it appears that university is good for Chris - at last
> he speaks to some girls.   ;-)

Yes, shame I didn't go to uni a long time ago. I could have done much
better than I did in previous relationships.

:)

I've always struggled with schooling but I did much better when the
course was IT related. Now i'm running the business and studying. It's
important to get the degree but also important not to burn bridges with
customers as I am making real money and providing a real service but I
think that I need to broaden my skills and education to progress from
where I am now.

I'm still poor with maths and solid sciences like chemistry and physics
but going to work to get myself up to speed. I think carrying out
cutting edge research in experimental sciences is much more rewarding in
the long term than end-user product support.

Currently my imagination is much better than my science. If I can
improve my science by leaps and bounds it will be amazing to see what I
can achieve.

best regards,
--
Chris Caston