[plug] kill them dead

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sat Oct 14 17:39:20 WST 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 11:45 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:

-snip-

> It may not be the fault of Linux....
>
> There could be a problem with the optical drive - or the drive may have a
> problem with certain types of media.
>
> When you have the problem - are you trying to read commercially produced
> discs or burnt copies ??????????           :-)

The first one :-)  K9copy sort of freezes with certain discs and the
drive just spins and spins and ignores all kill and eject commands and
is unavailable for other processes - as you would expect.  Once I can
kill k9copy by some means then the drive is freed up again.  I was
approaching this from the other angle: software at fault rather than
media or drive.  You may have a point, but the original topic still
remains: how to kill it dead and wrest back control of the drive.

> If they are burnt copies - then you may need to use another approach.
>
> Have you considered checking for a firmware update for the drive that you
> are using ???

Now there's a thought worth investigating just for its own sake - even
if entirely unrelated to the original topic ;-)  I'll check it out now.

Gavin