flash dvd firmware - was Re: [plug] kill them dead

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Oct 17 09:12:20 WST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 21:10 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:
> Over the last few days I have spent some time checking out this subject -
> in order to satisfy my curiosity.

-big snip-

> Again I say :
>
> The above procedures are NOT foolproof !!!
>
> They are only a suggestion - proceed at your own risk !!!
>
> Good luck if you are game enough to try.
			^^^^^^^

Arie,

Glad to have stimulated your interest so intensely ;-)  Then again, I
guess you were the one who took the original thread in this
direction :-)

I don't know :-/  You have scared me off updating my dvd firmware ;-)
However, one thing you have not pointed out is to back up your existing
drive firmware in case of failures.  I don't know how to do this, but
one firmware utility for windoze and linux that I found, unfortunately
only suited to NEC drives, included facility to backup existing
firmware.  If I had instruction to do that with my drive (lite-on) I
_would_ flash it in a mo'

Gavin