flash dvd firmware - was Re: [plug] kill them dead

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Oct 17 11:40:32 WST 2006

On 17 Oct 2006 at 9:12, Gavin Chester wrote:

8<-----------snip -------------->8

> I don't know :-/  You have scared me off updating my dvd firmware ;-)
> However, one thing you have not pointed out is to back up your existing
> drive firmware in case of failures.  I don't know how to do this, but
one
> firmware utility for windoze and linux that I found, unfortunately only
> suited to NEC drives, included facility to backup existing firmware.
If I
> had instruction to do that with my drive (lite-on) I _would_ flash it
in a
> mo'

I general terms :

There are many chipsets that do NOT allow you to back up the current
firmware.

There are some firmware updaters that do NOT have the ability to extract
existing firmware for backup purposes.

The above factors vary between various manufacturers and models of
chipsets.

My view is :

If you choose the "wrong" updater utility for your chipset or the wrong
binary - and your update fails - then it is quite likely that having a
backup of your original firmware could be pointless.

But some people might get lucky.

Then I suppose you could download a "backup"copy of your current firmware
"before" you try the update.

Regards Arie