[plug] anti-virus

Adam Ashley aashley at adamashley.name
Wed Oct 18 14:21:28 WST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:21:22 +0930, gavan at iinet.net.au wrote:

>> My understanding of ClamAV Win was that it didn't auto-update
>> though, is this
>> still the case?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Having looked at the website, I notice that it also doesn't have an on-access
> scanner, which may limit its usefulness to some people.
> "Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an
> on-access real-time
> scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus
>  or spyware."

It auto updates its virus definitions just fine. What it doesn't auto
update in the ClamAV engine/ClamWin interface itself.

It integrates fine with LookOut for scanning incoming emails but yeah
no on-access real-time scanning. Which is frankly a good thing as it
just one more memory/cpu hog you don't have to turn off.

Here at the office we just have a scheduled scan set after everyone
has gone home and a wall of shame to put up people's name and photo if
they actually managed to get a virus onto their system.

Adam